Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Do you still buy DVDs or Blu-ray movies? In the past several years, I have gone from buying a handful of DVDs and Blu-ray discs a month to maybe a handful a year. It's probably safe to say that my DVD/Blu-ray buying days are coming to an end. The only thing holding me back from ditching physical discs altogether is that on occasion a movie will come out that is a must-have for keepsake purposes. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't buy a disc ever again.

 As for my kids, they know how to use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video, and they know how to use my cable TV provider's on-demand video services. If they really want to see a movie not available on those services, I simply download it for them from iTunes or another video service. But that's just my family, so what about you? Do you still buy physical video media? Have online video-streaming and download movie services cut back on your DVD/Blu-ray spending? Do you think DVD and Blu-ray discs are headed toward extinction? If you are a habitual DVD/Blu-ray buyer, do you use the digital versions that come along with the purchase of the physical disc? CNET blog network writer Danny Sullivan recently wrote a post titled "Keep your Blu-rays and DVDs, Hollywood -- I've gone digital." In it, he talks about his Blu-ray and DVD buying habits, as well as his frustrations in dealing with digital versions that accompany physical discs that eventually made him give buying Blu-rays up altogether. Do you feel the same frustration as he does? Read the post, and when you're ready, tell us if you're like Danny, telling Hollywood to keep its DVDs and Blu-rays!

2 comments:

TOP